At Sadick Dermatology our Mohs surgery is performed in our offices, under local anesthesia with no need for hospital visits or overnight stays. Depending on the complexity of the case your visit with us may last a few hours or half a day, but please note all of that time is not spent in surgery. The procedure itself is performed in stages as the physician removes one layer of tissue at a time. Each stage is then analyzed independently to examine the depth and edges of the underlying tissue to ensure only healthy tissue remains. It is a careful, precise process requiring a fine touch, experienced doctor, and committed team.
Be sure to follow the instructions of your physician prior to your surgery and ask any questions you may have of the team. At Sadick Dermatology, these pre-surgery guidelines include but are not limited to:
• Let your Mohs surgeon know of any existing medical conditions or previous surgeries you’ve had. This includes any implants or artificial joints.
• Communicate any medications that you currently take.
• Avoid aspirin and other anti-inflammatory drugs at least 4 days prior to your surgery.
• Avoid alcohol and vitamin E supplements at least 2 days prior to your surgery.
• Get a good night’s sleep and have a normal, healthy breakfast before your Mohs surgery. As the anesthesia is local, there is no need to fast prior to the procedure.
• While many Mohs surgery procedures only require a few hours in the office, some cases require a half day or more. Therefore, we recommend blocking the entire day between 8am and 6pm for your procedure. Yes, we understand that New Yorkers have busy schedules, but the procedure is well worth the time, even in a nonstop city like NYC.
Sadick Dermatology has a proven track record of successful Mohs surgeries dating back nearly three decades. Our Mohs team is led by fellowship-trained Dermatologist and Mohs surgeon Dr. Zeena Al-Dujaili, who has performed over 2,000 Mohs surgeries and is known as one of the best Mohs surgeons in NYC. In addition to medical dermatology and Mohs Surgery, Dr. Al-Dujaili is a highly skilled cosmetic dermatologist, which allows her to bring a higher level of detail to her surgeries and closures; resulting in minimal scarring and improved aesthetic outcomes.
Our team will provide explicit post-procedure instructions for your surgical site care and healing. We advise against any strenuous activity or exercise for 48 hours following Mohs surgery. Some swelling and mild discomfort can be expected, but these tend to resolve gradually over the following week.